As Malaysia gears up towards Industrial Revolution 4, harnessing technology such is IoT can further boost the economy, productivity and quality of life.
It is estimated that IoT technology will generate economic opportunities of RM890 billion globally and increasing in value to RM6,100 billion by 2020.
In this article, we will delve into a brief definition of IoT Malaysia as well as understanding the impact of IoT in Malaysia.
What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
By using smart sensors and actuators to intensify manufacturing and industrial processes, The Internet of Things (IoT) is also known as the Industrial Internet or Industry 4.0.
It manages the industrial data by utilising advanced machines and real-time analytics. It is said that IoT works better than humans because they can transfer vital data faster and more efficiently.
This will then lead to swifter and more precise business decisions.
The common traits of IoT are they are affordable and easy to implement. The other usual traits of IoT include:
- Requires internet to sync with each other, with the process, software system or network
- Banks, gathers, and processes data
- Use third party cloud platform services to manage the data related
- Utilise analytics software to analyse data, as well as supervise or manage the assets
How IoT Works?
IoT operates by having several smart devices sync with each other to produce a system that can monitor, gather, exchange, and analyse data.
All ecosystem of IoT contains:
- Smart devices that are able to detect, communicate, and store data about themselves
- Private or public data communication structure
- Applications and analytics that can come up with business data from raw information
Smart devices will transmit information straight to the data communication systems where it will be transformed into actionable information and thus take the necessary action.
This process can benefit an organisation by being able to foresee maintenance and monitor business processes.
The Impact of IoT in Malaysia
MIMOS mentioned that due to IoT implementation in Malaysia, it would contribute around RM9.5 billion to Malaysia’s gross national income by 2020 and around RM42.5 billion by 2025.
RM 34 Billion from RM42.5 billion will be led by applications and services, as well as for analytics solutions.
The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, on the other hand, mentioned that IoT will result in over 14,270 high-skilled job opportunities by 2020.
IoT will give Malaysia the chance to transform into a high-income economy as we have the potential to switch from the traditional economy of agriculture and manufacturing to be more advanced.
This will thus allow Malaysia to move up the value chain. One of the prominent attempts to utilise IoT ecosystem is happening in Cyberjaya.
This is because it is implementing varieties of IoT-based solutions in the township such as smart traffic management systems and energy management solutions.
The industry has prepared a hub for startups there to allow those focusing on IoT-related solutions to have easy access to the companies and stakeholders in the town.
As we are aware, more and more IoT applications are created these days as we live in the modern world.
If you are looking for an impressive IoT application, KATSANA Orbital Platform is the answer!
Besides syncing industrial sensors to the cloud and giving operational transparency for critical industrial applications, they provide industrial organisations with automated day-to-day reporting.
This intelligent system is not only able to connect new sensors, but also the existing ones to the Orbital Platform.
It can also be utilised over numerous communication platforms such as:
- Telco: 2G/3G/LTE – The IoT hub also can support 2G/3G fallback if a certain area has no LTE coverage.
- IoT: LoraWAN/Sigfox – Don’t have telco coverage? Do not worry because a specific LoraWAN network can be organised as a communication backbone to connect industrial sensors to Cloud.
- Local: WiFi/Ethernet/BLE/RFID – For premises that have their own Wifi or Ethernet communication channel, that is also an option.
- Existing Sensors – The smart system can also be connected to readouts from existing sensors in your plants.
- Temperature Sensor – The system is so advanced, it will alert when the usual temperature of the area drops or exceeds beyond comprehension.
- Vibration Sensor – It can also detect unusual vibration on machines and engines which allows needed actions to be taken before it gets worse.
- Environmental Sensors – The system can also collect environmental information such as humidity, temperature, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), particulate matter (PM2.5), CO2, and others.
Among industries that can benefit from KATSANA Orbital Platform include:
- Cold Chain Operation Industry
It provides full transparency of cold chain process from Cold Room to Logistical tracking of Reefer trucks, to products delivered to customers.
- Real-time Cold Room Monitoring & Alerts
- Reefer Truck Temperature Monitoring
- Instant Alerts
- Estates and Plantations Industry
It can upgrade Estates and Plantation operations to the 21st century by providing automated reports from tanks, machines, and other assets in the plantations.
- SKID tank monitoring
- CPO Bulk/Static Tank/Main Storage Tank Monitoring
- Centralised Fuel Management Platform
- Energy and Power Grid Industry
The DriveMark® system scores drivers’ behaviour that can detect risky drivers for improvements, as well as potentially reward safer drivers in your fleet.
- Public Works and Utilities Industry
The system can link existing sensors in Water Treatment Plants and make them available on the Cloud. Additional sensors can also be added if needed.
- Water Quality Monitoring & Analytics
- Water Pump Monitoring & cautionary alerts
- Reservoir Level Monitoring
Communication and IoT Sensors
KATSANA Orbital communicates over numerous communication medium such as the trusty 2g/3G network, to the power efficient LoraWAN/Sigfox channels.
To conclude, KATSANA Orbital Platform sure can help improve your business and organisations to be on the next level besides also being able to ease your management to the max.
Get in touch with them here now for Free Consultation! Yes, you heard that right, free!